-->

Friday, June 3, 2016

My Job 01 - Librarian



     Being the excessive book reader that I am, it's always been a goal of mine to experience being employed by the library and to be labeled as an official "librarian".  It's an extremely nerdy thing to say but let's be honest, what reader wouldn't want to be surrounded by hundreds of books while getting paid?  Exactly.

      I've always been fond of the idea of having a large variety of jobs under my belt to one day help me realize what type of job I'd like to turn into a career.  In other words, I'm definitely not planning on working here forever but as of now, I'm still working at the library.  And I shall tell you about that wild place...
    
     So here we are in 2016 where for a small segment of my life, I was a librarian. 

     Whereas most libraries are known for being quiet and reserved, my local library is known for being somewhat of a social gathering place for everyone (including the occasional dog).  It's awesome to watch the children beg their parents to let them stay a little longer and to see the adults run into an old friend while pouring over the books on a shelf.  Sometimes they gossip about the locals and sometimes they laugh and revisit old memories.  Of course, we have the newbies come in every now and then.  They whisper and smile softly and there's always a part of me that wants to tell them that they don't have to do that here.  The regulars are the best.  Most of them are over 50 years of age.  They complain how they don't remember which books they've read or have not read because they've read so many, and they always make a comment on how unusually quiet the library is on the days when it's too nice outside for many people to stop by. 
     I also have the best boss ever (although I haven't had many bosses at all but she's still the coolest).  Her name's Becky.  She's always laughing, always smiling, friends with everybody, always has a funny story to tell, and has once randomly surprised me with a pair of fuzzy socks and a hug.  Like I said, she's the BEST! 

     Becky also told me in a joking manner that I can't leave her until I graduate so I'll be "Sarah The Librarian" for another year or so which I honestly don't mind!  It's a fun place and a fun job (I also no longer have to pay fines for my overdue items which is a Godsend)!  In my time working there, I've realized it's not something I could do for more than a few years, but it's an experience and I am beyond grateful for it.  Oh, and if it's a really slow day at work, I get to sit down and read...how fantastic is that?! :)

If you have a job, what is it and do you like it?  I'm curious!  :)

Dream big, Darlings!

12 comments:

  1. This post made me warm and fuzzy. <3 I definitely need to get myself one of these occupations. ;)

    Congrats, Sarah! I'm so happy for you. :)

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments ALWAYS make my day! Thanks, Kenzie!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, it sounds like you have an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is; I'm extremely blessed!

      Delete
  3. I love the photo of you in the library you look as happy as you say you are. Maybe even more! My grandmother was a librarian, it was nice to read this post and hear about the things she liked as well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! That's pretty cool that she worked at a library as well. :)

      Delete
  4. I want this job...I'm so jealous. How fun! Cute photo by the way :)
    -Vivian | http://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! It is pretty awesome and thanks!

      Delete
  5. I'm having my work experience at a library. I've always loved reading so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it a lot! I'm actually kind of excited! When I'm sixteen I want to find a Saturday job. This work experience will hopefully give me the confidence and skills I need. Woo! Go Sarah! Hope you enjoy being a librarian for many months to come! ❤️
    I had my English Language mock exams today. Been thinking about writing a book series. I'm working on one...lets see how it turns out 😂❤️
    Laila
    www.lailabee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as well! I wish you the best of luck with your future jobs! :)

      That's incredible!! Writing a book is definitely an exciting journey! I have infinite ideas in my head for a series of my own...just have to make myself sit down and actually write it.

      Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  6. Ahh, I wish I had a job like this! So incredibly jealous of your job!
    I love libraries and even when I was little I always wanted to work at the Library.
    Love your picture, so cute <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, anything can happen! Thank you, Lauren, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete