-->

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Art of Appreciation

     

     
 

"Dwell on the beauty of life.  Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them."
-Marcus Aurelius 

     An elderly, liberal, and art enthusiastic woman named Anne once taught me how to appreciate.  Together on her couch amidst her quaint art filled home, we read books on the lives of the world's most famous artists from Vincent Van Gogh to Roy Litchenstein.  We discussed poetry and its infinite hidden meanings.  She defined the importance of having a broad vocabulary.  She talked about the places and countries she wanted me to visit like the world was small and everything was possible.  Phenomenal woman she is.

     +++++

     Hello, friends!  How are you?  It's been longer than it should have been since last seeing you but in my defense, I've been suffering from major anxiety (which is all new to me), so imagine wanting to post, but your brain keeps telling you that nothing's good enough and you're going to fail.  Oh, yes.  It is as dreadful as it sounds! 
     So as you've read above, I met Anne, this extraordinary retired art teacher, who gave me art lessons for six weeks.  My sessions with her have since ended a few months ago and I've been missing them and her dearly.  Luckily, I have this cool cousin who I share the same interests with.  Kayla and I have made a plan to, in a way, continue from where I left off with Anne.  You're more than welcome to join us!

The plan:  

Choose an artist.

Study their life and art.

Watch a film based off their life if there is one.

Paint at least one painting based off or inspired by the chosen artist.

Discuss.

    +++++

     My time with Anne has changed my perception of many things in my life.  Not once does the thought, Wow, this looks like something I drew when I was five, ever cross my mind anymore when I walk into an art museum.  I actually appreciate poetry too, which is not something I was very good at.  Lastly, words, baby.  I have always loved them but Anne's taught me to use them in public more.  It's actually a very satisfying feeling to see someone stare back at you with a puzzled look because they have no idea what you just said nor what it means.  I'll say it again, join us.  Start at art, move to poetry, and then study a dictionary.  Just kidding, that last one is optional.  

     Just remember, there is the art to create and the art to appreciate.  It makes all the difference.


Dream big, Darlings!


9 comments:

  1. those pictures are beautiful. I know someone just like Anne. Her name is Debby and I worked at her house one day and then we just sorta clicked. She randomly told me she wanted to take me to the art museum. she knows all about art and she'll teach me all these amazing things. She lends me books to read and all sorts of stuff. shes taught me so much about art.

    anyhow, I FREAKING LOVE ART AHHHH.
    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you so much, Faith!

      That is incredible! Isn't' it amazing how such phenomenal people can come into one's life like that!? I love it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. wow, so much good stuff! I too have grown to love art more and more; so much depth and insight goes into its beauty. You will have to keep us updated on this adventure!
    And secondly, I am so sorry about the anxiety- that is absolutely zero fun.
    Know that you are awesome, and that I'm having a fun time digging through your posts:)
    -elissa//letters-to-jayna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I love meeting people who love art as much as me! I will definitely be keeping you all updated! :)

      Elissa, thank you so much! Your comment has made me feel so much better. Thanks for stopping by!! <3

      Delete
  3. GAH THIS POST IS AMAZING!!!!
    I dream to big I think, I have such dreams and wishes that I am sure they will be sadly crushed. But regardless, a big part of me is my dreams so DREAM ON AND DREAM BIG!!

    xoxo
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, DARLING, THANK YOU!!! :)))

      Nonsense! One can never dream too big! My mom tells me that what we put out into the universe always comes back to us so the way I see it, if you dream big enough and believe in those dream, they shall be fulfilled! Yes, we shall DREAM ON AND DREAM BIG (REALLY LOVE THAT BY THE WAY)!

      Delete
  4. Goodness Sarah, your photography is just stunning! I good look at it all day.

    This was such a beautiful post, and now I am inspired! I took a couple art classes, but I stopped for a while... I'm now thinking I should continue with them this summer. ;)

    xx Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem, ***I COULD look at it all day.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! *blushes* You're too kind!

      I'm ecstatic that you're feeling inspired! That's so cool! One can never have too much art. :)

      Delete