-->

Monday, February 1, 2016

An Overpass, 21c, and The Seelbach Hotel


 "Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness."
- Ray Bradbury

     About once a month or two, I'll go through this phase where my brain stops, but goes crazy all at the same time.  I'll catch myself gazing out windows, tuning out people's conversations, or stalking Alex Centomo on YouTube.  Why?  Because I get bored of waking up to the same old things and I get bored of the same old conversations!  So what do I do?  I travel three hours down south to go on a two day adventure filled with culture and shenanigans with my favorite person, Kayla. 

     Sometime around 9:00pm on the brisk evening of January 29th, Kayla and I buckled ourselves into Kayla's car and our so called adventure began.  First, I was able to finally meet Kayla's group of friends who I must are some of the coolest people I have ever met.  They use big words when speaking, have very impressive vinyl collections, and really seem to understand/see the world as it is, a place of opportunities and infinite beauty.  I know that you wild bunch of beautiful souls are not reading this but, I'd like to say that you are all truly amazing.

     Second, Kayla and her "gang" took me to a magical place.  I know you must be thinking that this magical place had to of been a bookstore but no, it was an overpass.  We had to walk through a park, some trees, and then there it was, a cement ledge and beneath that, two tunnels where cars passed to and from.  Despite the cold air, it was breathtaking. So there we sat on the ledge, taking it in, huddling together, looking over the edge at the cars disappearing into the hillside, and time stood still.
     


     Naturally and unknowingly, the park closed at 11pm and we happened to be there at 12:30am so we got busted by the cops for trespassing.  Luckily, the kind gentlemen let us go without charges, but unfortunately, 3/4 of our "Adventure Crew" were spooked out by the cops and went home.  Those who remained were Kayla, A, and myself.  

     Onto the third adventure, shall we?  We hit up Waffle House and scarfed down two plates of golden hashbrowns. 

     Forth, Kayla drove A and I to downtown Louisville, which is beautiful by the way, where we visited a 24 hour modern art museum.  If I've got my facts right, I believe it is also a hotel which explains the 24 hour part.  This wonderful place is called 21c.  At 2am, we observed the strangest forms of art, closed off a room to turn down the lights so we could dance, took Polaroids, sneaked into the mens room to check out the rumored waterfall urinals, and lied on the floor in a dark room filled with exotic photography to talk about life. 








     Fifth, after exiting 21c feeling refreshed and cultured, we sprinted across the street to, I believe, the entrance to some kind of space museum because in front of the museum was this... 



And there, darlings, was day one.  

I take it back, A stole a traffic cone in the middle of the city and placed it in a stranger's yard.  Wild.


---------------


     Day two started later than Kayla and I wanted.  Here's a tip, if you want to be productive, don't sleep in a dark basement.  You won't wake up until noon.

     We went to the one and only Seelbach Hotel.  The story behind the Seelbach Hotel is that this very place was many many years ago visited by one of my favorite authors, F. Scott Fitzgerald.  It was here where inspiration struck him to write The Great Gatsby.  What's beautiful is that as I walked across its marble floor, I felt like I'd stepped into the story itself.  There was a wide open staircase with gold railings which wrapped around the second floor and a giant chandelier.  But really, there was gold just everywhere.  I will admit I was extremely intimidated by its exquisiteness.  Kayla and her sister had to practically drag me to the front door.  The hotel had valet and that to me is intimidating alone.  





     No, we did not stay in the Seelbach.  One day, I'd very much like to, but it's a bit out of my budget at the moment.  Instead, the three of us went there for lunch at their new restaurant called Gatsby's on Fourth. 




Believe it or not, the food was even better than it looks (10 OUT OF 10 QUESO).  Until next time...



Dream big, Darlings!


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, like 'goals' seriously XD And that food looks amazing, it looks so colorful and healthy :P

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      The food was to die for! I still think about it sometimes! :P

      Delete
  2. The good! Omg I am such a foodie and this looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It. Was. Scrumptious.

      I still dream about their queso...not even joking.

      Delete